Friday 2 July 2010

Growing Old Disgracefully

I can't believe its July already! Where does the time go?
Only three weeks before the end of school term (how I wish I was still there)!

I haven't done very much crafting at all recently, mainly due to the hot weather. I've been using my evenings to sit in the garden and read instead.

I have signed up for another monthly altered tag swap on UKS though and am waiting for the delivery of the June tags with excited anticipation - they should be here any day now.
June's theme was "A Midsummer Nights Dream" and July's theme is "Growing Old Disgracefully" as its our host, Netty's, 50th birthday.

I had some trouble with this - I knew what I wanted to achieve but wasnt sure how to go about it. I have used this poem about growing old as a baseline to my designs:

Purple
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

Great isnt it? This is who I want to be when I'm an old lady - which will be likely as I think demetia runs in the family doesnt it?



I have used stamps, ribbons, embossing and distree inks to put these together and am quite pleased with the cheeky, frilly knickers that you can see when you lift the skirt. I hope the ladies receiving these tags like them.




5 comments:

  1. That is fab, I throroughly intend to grow old as disgracefully as possible, after all "well behaved women rarely make history" (Laurel Thatcher Ulrich). the tags are gorgeous :)
    C
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your blog whilst looking at your entry for "open". just loving the frilly knickers and wearing purple tags. who are you giving them too? They will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those. They are really fabulous. Brilliant idea and hope the celebration is disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete