Friday 26 November 2010

Hide and Seek by Clare Sambrook



I have just finished Hide & Seek by Clare Sambrook and decided to review it on the blog.
To say that I enjoyed the story would be wrong. The story is written through the eyes of a young boy named Harry who, at 9 years old, feels the terrible responsibility of the disappearance of his 5 year old brother Daniel, on a school trip.

Harry and his parents' pain is described in various behaviours throughout the book and I found I had to keep reminding myself that the narration was by a 9 year old who is in turmoil. To say that I felt sorry for Harry is an understatement.

The book was excellently written and the descriptions that Clare Sambrook has used are awesome (I read many of them more than once to make sure I had understood. The use of the train's Rhythm drumming comments into Harry's head was very sad but very clever.

I perhaps found it more upsetting as my son is a "Daniel" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment